Monday, April 6, 2020

Drumming on the Dashboard

Psalm 25:1-5
In you Lord my God, I put my trust.
I trust in you; do not let me be put to shame, not let my enemies triumph over me.
No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come to those who are treacherous without cause.
Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

Basically since I had a license and the ability to drive I have enjoyed just driving around to worship God.  In high school I lived in a town so small it was literally not a town.  So there wasn't a lot to do - so I would drive, listening to music, singing along.  In college one of my best friends and I developed the habit of driving from where we lived in the NE Heights of Albuquerque all the way across town and up to Double Eagle Airport out on the West Mesa.  The drive back was always the best part - you are coming down from the west side and there's the city lights all layed out under the shadow of Sandia Peak.  It's a beautiful scene, and when you add in our background of Third Day's Come Together album it made for some awesome nights of worship.  The habit lessened as I grew older, simply out of necessity.  When you have a wife and a family it's not the best practice to go driving across town in the middle of the night just for fun.  But worshiping in the car is still normal, and I must confess there have been times when the cars next to me probably thought I was very peculiar as I lost myself in praise.  As if the sight of a giant man in a mini-van isn't enough to make me stand out, now we are adding in singing at the top of my lungs, lifting my hands, and occasionally closing my eyes while waiting at stoplights.

One of the songs that has definitely caused that to happen more than once is Here's My Heart by Crowder.  It echoes the words of the Psalm above - repeating several times that Here is my heart Lord, speak what is true.  As we continue to deal with the uncertainty of our world right now, this phrase has become even more meaningful to me.  The more the world talks about all the possibilities that are ahead of us - the more I want to hold onto God's truth and the more I want to give him my heart.  You see giving my heart to God, laying it out and telling him to take and speak truth to it - that's not just about Him giving me something, it's not just about Him filling my heart with His truth.  It is also about giving Him the things that are in my heart.  It's about laying all those worries, all those thoughts, all those concerns, all those things that are weighing on my heart - and giving those to Him, letting Him speak His truth over those things.  It's about letting Him carry those things so that He can allow me to have that easy yoke and the light burden that He promises us. 

I know that's not an easy thing all the time - certainly not for me.  It's something we have to learn more and more all the time.  I love how the song builds and conveys that idea as well.  First it talks about how we are found and loved, and then it returns to that chorus asking God to take our hearts and speak his truth.  Then it again talks about being found and loved but this time is adds to it, talking about how strong and sure God is.  That faith grows, knowing that not only does God love us and finds us, but He is strong and sure, He will endure.  Then it returns to the chorus - once again echoing Here's my heart, and then adding to it by crying out Here's my life as well.  Then it proceeds again through being found, and that God is strong, but that idea continues to grow and adds a third verse this time, coming to place where we can boldly say
You are MORE than enough
You are here, you are love
You are hope
You are grace
You're all I have
You're everything

And that final point that it gets to, that high point of the song declaring that God is everything.  That's what I need so much right now.  I need it all the time, but especially when everything around us is so out of sorts I need to be reminded that God is everything - He is everything I need, and He should be everything that I want.  And none of this has changed Him at all.  He is still the same God He has always been, and no virus, no social distance, nothing can ever change that.  He is still the same God that sent His Son to die for my sins.  He is still the same God that willingly went to the cross for me and declared IT IS FINISHED.  He is still the same God that couldn't be held in that tomb, but rose again.  And He is still the same God that sends His Spirit to work in my heart, to make me more and more like Him.  That's the truth that God has been speaking to my heart this week.  That's the truth that we get to celebrate this week on Resurrection Sunday.  That's the truth I'm holding onto no matter what lies ahead.

Love you guys - see you soon.

Here's a link to the song on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzxm1jMNaB4&list=PLO2C6gHJTjeIoq7qjDQyxkGT8VT25ETpg&index=32&t=0s

No comments:

Post a Comment